Friday 29 March 2013

Motilium for Gastroparesis

3/5/2013
Future Update

I would have to say that Motilium has not really been effective for me. I have now reduced to taking once a day before dinner and will eventually stop altogether. I have recently started a naturopathic treatment which actually seems to be helping a little so far. Please see my post on Naturopathy for further details.


29/3/2013
Motilium (a.k.a. Domperidone) is an antidopaminergic drug and used generally to suppress nausea and vomiting, as a pro kinetic agent and for promoting lactation.

There is some evidence that domperidone has antiemetic activity. Domperidone is used in the treatment of nausea and vomiting. In Italy it is also used for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), as well as for hiatal hernia.

Domperidone has also been found effective in the treatment of gastroparesis, a stomach motility condition, and for paediatric gastroesophageal reflux (infant vomiting).

So I've been taking Motilium for about three weeks now for my gastroparesis. Good news is that there hasn't been any negative side effects. Problem is symptoms do not appear to be improving much at all.

I plan to take it for another month to see if it helps in any way, but to be honest, I was sort of expecting to see results straight away. Perhaps I need to give it a little time.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog which is a comprehensive approach to your hopes and attempts to overcome, or ease your IBS. Many of your trials have mirrored our experiences.
    Have you seen the information on Blastocystis hominis? (http://www.blastocystishominis.org/) and the site badbugs.org The CDD in Sydney has a treatment protocol for this. We think that it is worth investigating and will let you know of any progress with regards to IBS symptoms.
    Good luck and best wishes on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response :) Interesting reading about the blastocystis hominis. I do avoid eating too much sugar and I do believe that has helped with reducing severity of symptoms, and also avoid eating too much pasta. But a little doesn't seem to be too bad. My naturopath mentioned that sugar feeds bad bacteria so it's good to avoid when you have a troubled digestive system.

      I did have a colonoscopy and they didn't find parasites, but by the sounds of it that procedure wouldn't pick up on blastocystis hominis.

      I'll see how I continue with naturopathic treatment first (which I am yet to write about) and then consider blastocystis hominis down the track if the current treatment I'm on is ineffective.

      Yes, please let me know of any progress relating to IBS. Thanks again for your post and informing about this possibility :)

      Delete

  2. Hier auf der Seite http://medicineronline.net habe ich über domperidon gelesen und denke eine Bestellung machen.

    ReplyDelete